This Can’t Leave Alone easy cake-mix bar recipe never disappoints. With a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now, it’s an impressive dessert with a soft, chewy base and a delectable fudgy middle layer. And what makes this even better is its ability to be thrown together in a short time!
Prior to being a stay-at-home mom to my four small friends, I was a third grade teacher in our town’s Catholic school. I loved the students, the families, the staff… and the plethora of treats always abundantly available. A large majority of these treats were all thanks to my sweet friend, Angie. Teacher by day, sweet aficionado by night! And if it weren’t good enough to work with her, one year I got so lucky to have one of her daughters in class.
The year I happened to have her daughter, I also happened to be pregnant with my twin boys. Which only meant one thing: surprise plates of baked goodies, delivered straight to my desk! Okay, and the occasional box of s’more Pop Tarts, which happen to have been my biggest pregnancy craving to date. It was a double jackpot: a student as sweet and smart as her beautiful momma, plus allthetreats.
One set of treats sticks out vividly in my mind so well because I easily recall hiding them in my desk drawer, only to sneak a bar out for a bite when the kids weren’t looking.
Okay… and maybe when they were.
And let’s just say I started to make extra excuses to make a pit stop back there.
Anyway, I had no choice but to ask for the recipe because I seriously could not keep my pregnant paws off them! And you know what the name of them was?
Seriously! Nailed it. The name continues to be true to this day. This Can’t Leave Alone easy cake-mix bar is so delicious and so simple. Every time I make them, I can’t help but cut a little sliver off every time I walk by. Because if it’s just a sliver, it doesn’t count, right? Even if you eat 15 of them… right? Right?!
But it makes sense as to why they’re so yummy. They’re a super simple cake-mix based bar mixed with an incredible fudgy layer. Though they look like a chocolate revel bar, they really don’t taste all that much like them. Revel bars can get hard and crumbly; not so with these babies. They always maintain an incredible softness.
You likely have what you need in your pantry, and I know you won’t be disappointed. So what are you waiting for? Get to making these Can’t Leave Alone easy cake-mix bar, stat!
Can’t Leave Alone Bars
- 1 package white or yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a bowl, combine cake mix with eggs and oil. Press ⅔ of this mixture into the base of a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Set aside pan and extra ⅓ of the mixture.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips with cubed butter and condensed milk. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between sessions, until all ingredients are melted and create a smooth mixture. Pour over crust from previous step.
- Flatten teaspoon to tablespoon size pieces of remaining dough from step one and place in random places on top of chocolate layer. Continue this process until all dough is used up.
- Bake until lightly browned; approximately 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
Make sure to pin this recipe for later. It’s a great pan of bars to bring for any holiday event, a potluck, or just for having on hand after a yummy supper!