Chex Mix Muddy Buddies are one of my absolute favorite childhood treats, but what if we up the ante and turn them into unicorn Chex Mix Muddy Buddies? Mind. Blown.
I mentioned in my last post I made the prettiest, most delicious treat to go with my daughter’s “Kitty Cat Unicorn” birthday party theme. It’s such a gorgeous, colorful twist on the classic “Muddy Buddy” or “Puppy Chow” recipe you know and love (and can’t stop eating!) from childhood. And fair warning: it’s also just as addictive and totally yummy.
I’ll be totally honest: I was entirely skeptical of how this would taste. I assumed it would be way too sweet and wouldn’t even hold a candle to the original. For this reason, I made a smaller batch of it; I figured only the kids would munch on it.
Oh, how wrong I was. Within minutes of guests arriving, it was gone.
Aside from the taste, I also love that this recipe can be entirely customized. In other words: you can totally tame down the fluffy pinks and purples that scream UNICORN. Instead, a person can easily change the colors to be PJ Mask, a particular holiday or even your favorite sports team. So versatile but still just as yummy.
By the looks of the finished product, one might assume this Unicorn Chex Mix Muddy Buddies recipe is quite complicated. But in reality, it’s quite the opposite. Making this pretty snack is totally simple. Not to mention, it’s so stinking fun to watch it turn out just as beautiful as the pictures!
To make this recipe, you’ll need colored candy melts. In my area, they’re available at JoAnn Fabrics and Wal-Mart, but sometimes it’s just easier to snag them from Amazon. I opted to order bright pink, turquoise and lavender. But again, if you’re not going for a Unicorn theme, you can get away with any of the fun color options!
My most favorite supply you need, though, are the sprinkles. You guys, have you seen all the beautiful sprinkles out there? My favorite line of sprinkles come from a company called Sweet Tooth Fairy. So pretty and so fun! I could spend hours deciding which sprinkles to order.
In fact, I have.
Well, not all at one time. But I play the “add 12 jars of sprinkles to my cart and slowly whittle it down” game. Please tell me there are others out there who do this, too.
Well, no matter. Just know you’ll want some fun sprinkles to add to your Chex Mix Unicorn Muddy Buddies batch. But aside from that, the remaining ingredients are pretty basic and are likely in your pantry right now. So go ahead: order your supplies and pin this recipe for later so you can give this spin on a childhood favorite recipe a try!
Unicorn Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- 1/2 cup each, candy melts bright pink, turquoise and lavender
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup White or Funfetti Cake Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- Fun Sprinkles
- Combine cake mix and powdered sugar; stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of one color of candy melts in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil. Microwave 30 seconds; stir. Continue to heat in 10 second increments, stirring between each, until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Pour melted candy over 1 1/3 cups Chex cereal; stir gently to coat cereal evenly.
- Pour 1/4 of the cake mix/powdered sugar mixture into a gallon-sized plastic ziploc. Add in the coated cereal; seal the bag and shake until the cereal is well covered.
- Dump coated cereal out onto a cookie sheet to dry. Drizzle any remaining candy melts over the cereal and sprinkle with your "fun" sprinkles.
- Repeat with each color of candy melt.
- Allow to sit 30 minutes to dry completely.
- Mix all three colors of cereal together prior to serving. Enjoy!
Remember to pin this for later — it’s seriously such a versatile and fun treat. Let me know which colors you try it with next!